The Irdroid-Rpi is a Infrared Transceiver HAT / Add-on board for Raspberry Pi. The board provides Infrared Transmitter , Infrared Receiver and UEXT interconnect for Olimex sensors and boards designed with the UEXT connector. The board can be stacked on top of the Rpi board and you could turn your Rpi into a fully functional Infrared remote control for you home infrared consumer electronics. The Irdroid-Rpi is compatible with the LIRC/ Lirc GPIO driver for raspberry Pi and the LIRC utilities for recording and transmitting infrared signals can be used. The Irdroid-Rpi uses a optical IR amplification technique that allows to transmit high power IR signal by signal amplification after the IR light is emitted.
The Irdroid-Rpi is open source hardware, we provide all the design and production files free of charge. The board also comes with a documentation / manual in english. If you prefer you can also purchase the board on eBay, just search for Irdroid-Rpi in eBay product search
- – High power transmitter with wide IR angle
- – A Standard 40 pin connector for Rpi
- – Supported by Lirc for Rpi
- – Open source software & hardware
- – Interface – GPIO Transmit / Receive
- – Operating Range – 10+ meters
- – Operating Frequency – 38kHz
- – IR Interface – Transmitter 940nm @ 38kHz
- – Home Automation via Infrared
- – Automating IR controlled appliances in large halls and in public places
- – Automating IR controlled appliances – stacked LCD flat screens
- – Automating multiple IR controll appliances – multiple LCD Screens in parallel
- – User Manual / English (pdf)
- – Github Repository
- – Irdroid-Rpi Schematic (pdf)
- – Irdroid-Rpi Eagle Design files (zip archive)
- – Blog Post, showing how to use Irdroid-Rpi with Raspberry Pi on Raspbian
Irdroid-Rpi now has a DT Overlay support via the on-board eeprom that now ships with every board. Once attached to a Raspberry Pi, the Irdroid-Rpi Hat will be recognized automatically, it will set the board inputs and outputs, and it will load the appropriate Kernel LIRC-RPI drivers. This feature improoves user experience and it provides plug-n-play support for the Product. The user will only have to install lircd (if not shipped by default with the distribution used).
The Irdroid-Rpi board details such as Vendor and Product IDs are available in
To query Product & Vendor use:
$ more product
$ more vendor
The lirc-rpi module will be loaded at boot time, then you can start using Irdroid-Rpi with lirc . The lirc device will be available at /dev/lirc0 . The driver to be used with lirc is the “Default” driver.
For all the customers that have previous versions of Irdroid-Rpi, without EEPROM, we provide a free eeprom that we can ship upon request. Please send us request to info at irdroid dot com so that you can upgrade your board.